Monday, April 12, 2010

my walking shoes

Photobucket
the insoles from my trusty converse.

i've been in sudan for 151 days. give or take. on at least 149 of those 151 days, i've worn a pair of white chucks i brought with me (at the last minute) from home. as it turns out, sudan's dusty -- and, more often that not, unpaved -- roads haven't been very kind to them (see above banner.)

the rubber toe bits are cracking. the canvass is stained and tearing, and i'm pretty sure i'll never be able to get rid of the sand that's constantly rattling around inside them. what's more, i realized a few days ago that i've actually managed to wear holes through the insoles.

i'm hoping i can still get a good 76-some days out of these guys. by then, i'll be on my way to ethiopia, and hopefully kate can bring me a new pair.

so, while i can't do much to solve those first few problems, the insoles, i figured, could be replaced. a few days ago, on my way home from work, i stopped by a shoe repairman who regularly sets up shop along al-hurriya street, a stretch known mostly for electronics.

i showed him my problem, and he offered me a solution: a pair of replacement insoles made out of carpet. they set me back 1 sudanese pound, or about 40 u.s. cents.

Photobucket
my new, stylin' carpet insoles installed. don't be jealous.

6 comments:

CP April 12, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

great photos!

Unknown April 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

you could definitely start a trend with those insoles here in the NA.

Randi April 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

i really love the ways in which you can keep a pair of shoes working outside of the US. i bet there is another guy down the road who'll sew the canvas back to the sole when that rips apart! these shoes will go for years.

Kristen* April 17, 2010 at 11:56 PM  

I like 'em!

cameratakesphotos April 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

Love 'em! The question is: how does it feel to always walk on carpet!

ryan kost April 19, 2010 at 11:47 PM  

it sort of feels like you're walking on sand. so i put my old insols in over the new ones. gross. but effective!